Instrumental Analysis is an engaging, state-of-the-art guide to chemical instrumentation that focuses on the foundational techniques students will encounter in their future careers. Instrumental Analysis begins with the underlying principles governing each technique while being mindful to speak directly to the student in an informative and instructional tone.
Along with the rapid advancement of digital technology, chemical instrumentation as undergone its own transformative revolution and now includes many instrument types that are miniaturized and portable. When appropriate, Instrumental Analysis includes both the bench-top and portable versions of today’s modern instrumentation. By directly comparing and contrasting the trade-offs one must accept when choosing a bench-top vs. portable instrument, or when choosing between alternative instrumental types, this text helps students make informed analytical choices when faced with a rapidly evolving instrumental market place.
The text will include a set of pedagogical features designed to help students master concepts and apply them in their future studies and careers, such as:
- Profiles: To capture the student’s imagination, each chapter begins with a real world application and additional profile boxes are sprinkled throughout each chapter at key points. The profile boxes are designed to answer the “so what” and “who cares” question often asked by students.
- Activities: When feasible, the text includes activity boxes that allow a student to recreate a physical phenomenon or to build a working instrument component using easily obtainable materials. These activities were designed so that the student can perform the activity outside of the classroom; however, they would also be suitable as classroom demonstrations or small group activities.
- Worked Examples: Each chapter contains several worked out examples that walk the student through key calculations and/or exercises. Each example box is then followed by several exercises that allow the student to gain their own expertise. Additional exercises are also included at the end of each chapter.
- Compare and Contrast Boxes: As the book develops, Compare and Contrast boxes are strategically placed that allow for a direct comparison of several different instrumental techniques. This feature was specifically designed to help the student understand the different trade-offs one makes when choosing one technique over another. When appropriate the compare and contrast feature is presented as a table that allows for direct comparison of such things as, resolution, speed of analysis, detection limits, purchase cost, operation cost, maintenance cost, sample preparation time, and destructive vs. non-destructive analysis. At other times, the compare and contrast feature is presented as a Venn diagram that highlights the similarities and differences in an instrument’s design and/or utility. Students are also prompted to think critically about the similarities and differences as they move from one section to another.
- Exercises: Exercises that reinforce key concepts are strategically placed within the chapter in close proximity to the concept they are meant to reinforce. Additional Exercises are included at the end of each chapter and offer an opportunity for further reinforcement of key ideas.
- Further Reading: Each chapter ends with a bibliography of influential texts and/or journal articles pertaining to that topic.